Online MBA Degree Program
Potomac’s MBA program builds on the high quality academic programs offered by the college for the past 20+ years, providing the opportunity for you to acquire important and relevant business knowledge and leadership skills that can be directly applied in the workplace. The program covers a wide range of relevant topics which give you added value in the marketplace, and great flexibility for students with classes they can attend on their own schedule.
Potomac College faculty and staff work individually with each of our students to establish an academic pathway that best satisfies his or her needs, and how these needs relate to their course of study as well as their ultimate professional goals. We offer the convenience of time, location, and program pace; factors that we believe contribute to the overall success of our institution and help our students balance their life with their education.
MBA Program Mission
Potomac College is devoted to providing high quality MBA education and learning opportunities in order to enhance students’ career options and work fulfillment.
MBA Program Learning Goals
Graduates of the Potomac MBA will be able to:
- Analyze and interpret statistical data and economic models relating to an organization’s activities.
- Evaluate community responsibilities in organizations and society, and to propose innovative solutions to complex ethical issues faced by organizations.
- Solve business problems through analysis and decision-making techniques using vehicles such as case studies and consulting.
- Analyze and evaluate complex issues on the political, economic, legal and regulatory context of business.
- Communicate ideas and propose solutions to complex issues effectively in both an oral and written context both individually and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate the capacity to apply knowledge in new and unfamiliar circumstances through a conceptual understanding of the relevant academic disciplines.
- Analyze and interpret financial data and determine the value of an organization using various techniques.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the social, ethical, and multi-cultural issues and trends affecting business.
Graduates of the Potomac College Master of Business Administration degree program will be competent in the functional areas of business: accounting and finance, management, marketing and operations. Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to identify problems related to U.S. and foreign businesses and to artfully respond to these challenges. In addition, graduates will be empowered with the knowledge and skills required to work as managers in U.S. business organizations, non-governmental organizations and international entities.
To receive a Master of Business Administration degree, students must earn 45 semester credit hours. Unless noted otherwise, all courses carry three semester credits hours. Program requirements are listed on the following page.
Program Length – Potomac College students can earn a MBA degree within 1.5 years.
On-Time Graduation Rate has not been established at this time
Median Loan Debt – For all students completing this program has not been established at this time
• Federal student loans are not available at this time.
• Private loans or corporate education assistance should be considered
Program Costs – Cost information for Potomac College programs is available at http://www.potomac.edu/financial-aid/tuition. The current tuition and fees for the entire program, at current full-time tuition rates, are $23,775*. The total estimated cost for books and supplies for the entire program is $1,875.
*Subject to change
MBA Degree Benefits
Students who earn their MBA open themselves up to more job opportunities, even in a slower economy. An MBA degree also provides students the potential to earn a higher salary and the focus on valuable leadership, strategic management and entrepreneurial skills which gives them greater confidence in pursuing their career goals.
The broad-based MBA curriculum ensures that graduates have advanced knowledge and skills of the major functional areas of business – finance and accounting, management, marketing and operations – and develop the ability to apply that knowledge and skills to problem solving and strategic planning. The Potomac MBA focuses on:
- Quality, convenient, and flexible courses delivered completely online
- The opportunity to study and network with other business professionals
- The chance to learn from experienced faculty who combine current theory and successful practice
- Relevant, practical curriculum that focuses on new value creation through innovation and creativity
- A significant return on investment, enabling you to earn a valuable degree at an affordable price
- The ability to immediately apply what you learn to develop solutions in your workplace and career
MBA students may select one of the following concentrations for their MBA studies:
Students complete the 11 courses in the core and select one of the three concentrations. Students who have completed an undergraduate program in a business-related area may waive the courses in Managerial Accounting, Managerial Economics and Managerial Finance.
MBA DEGREE COURSES
MBA Core Courses (33 credits)
- BUS 501 Managerial Accounting
- BUS 502 Managerial Economics
- BUS 503 Managerial Finance
- BUS 510 Strategic Management
- BUS 520 Human Resources and Organizational Behavior
- BUS 530 Marketing Management
- BUS 540 Managerial Decision Analysis
- BUS 550 Operations Management
- BUS 560 Management and Information Systems
- BUS 570 Business Ethics
- BUS 690 MBA Capstone
MBA Management Concentration (12 credits)
- MGMT 610 Executive Leadership
- MGMT 620 Legal Aspects of Management
- MGMT 630 Managing Organizational Diversity
- MGMT 640 Managing Change
MBA Marketing Concentration (12 credits)
- MRKT 610 Strategic Marketing
- MRKT 620 Marketing Research
- MRKT 630 Multinational Marketing
- MRKT 640 Digital Marketing Strategy
MBA Finance Concentration (12 credits)
- FIN 610 Financial Strategy
- FIN 620 Financial Risk Management
- FIN 630 Mergers and Acquisitions
- FIN 640 Valuation and Value Creation
For information on jobs related to this program, as well as the U.S. Department of Labor Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) Codes, please click on the links listed in the following program concentration to access the O*NET website sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Management analysts are being sought to help companies maintain their competitive edge in a challenging economy. Controlling inventory, downsizing and overall strategizing are possible elements of job descriptions for MBA graduates. While highly competitive, this field is growing. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the median salary to be $78,490. Projected growth for 2010-2020 is faster than average at 20% to 28%.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the following knowledge, skills and abilities for marketing professionals with an MBA degree: seek and provide information to help companies determine their position in the marketplace; gather data on competitors and analyze their prices, sales and methods of marketing and distribution; monitor industry statistics and follow trends in trade literature; measure the effectiveness of marketing, advertising, and communications programs and strategies; forecast and track marketing and sales trends; analyze collected data. The median wage for marketing professionals in 2011 was $60,250. Projected growth for 2010-2020 is faster than average at 29% or higher.
According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, financial analysts supervise financial reports, guide investment activities and initiate cash management tactics. In addition, the median annual wage for a financial manager in 2011 was $99,330. Projected growth for 2010-2020 is 9%. Those who seek employment in this field may work in a bank, loan, credit, or finance institution. As a top executive, financial managers can plan on having a lot of responsibility and working long hours to earn a high salary.
Cost by Credit
$490 per credit hour for everyone
One-time Registration Fee: $100
Technology Fee: $37.50 per credit hour
Application Fee for International Students: $150
Estimate for textbooks for the entire program: $2000
*Potomac College reserves the right to change the above costs, including tuition, at any time.