Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
Request more information
Reach your career goals with a healthcare informatics degree
This program enables individuals to gain the necessary expertise to oversee coordination of a complex organization’s healthcare informatics and information management needs. This program covers information technology foundations, research methods for healthcare managers, information management for project managers, and foundations of information security.
$450 | Calculate Your Cost
Healthcare Informatics Degree Overview
University of the Potomac is pleased to offer the newly added Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics among our roster of career-driven master degree programs. This program enables individuals to gain the necessary expertise to oversee coordination of a complex organization’s healthcare informatics and information management needs. The degree concepts covers information technology foundations, research methods for healthcare managers, information management for project managers, and foundations of information security
“The classes are very dynamic and you have the opportunity to be able to work while you study since they also offer online classes. “
This Program Is Accredited By
Healthcare Informatics Courses & Curriculum
Students complete the four courses in Business and Management, four courses in Health Profession, and four courses in Information Technology. All courses are 3 credits.
Lower Division Requirements (60 credits)
- MGMT610 Executive Leadership
- BUS560 Management and Information Systems
- MGMT615 Health Informatics Project Design and Management
- HLTH625 Health Care Communications Technology and Telematics
- HLTH605 American Health Care Systems
- HLTH645 Legal and Regulatory Environment for Health Care and Informatics
- HLTH650 Health Quality and Safety
- HLTH655 Research Methods and Data Analytics for Health Informatics
- HLTH640 Introduction to Health Information Technology
- MCAP520 Enterprise Data Management and Administration
- DACS640 Data Integration, Warehousing, Provenance, and Analysis 71
- HLTH635 Health Data Structures
Healthcare Informatics Requirements & Outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics will be able to:
- Apply informatics theories, methods and tools related to personal health, healthcare, and public health to analyze a problem and identify and define the requirements appropriate to its solution.
- Utilize the knowledge, skills, and concepts of health information technology using evidence-based practice methodologies.
- Articulate the ways in which data, information, and knowledge are used to solve health problems from the individual to the population level.
- Describe key legal, regulatory, and ethical issues related to the utilization of health information technology.
- Acquire the skills necessary to contribute to a strategic and tactical approach in utilizing health information systems to improve healthcare quality.
- Initiate and lead teamwork, implement a wide range of team-work development, manage multi-cultural communication and possible conflicts.
General Admission Requirements
- Complete an admissions interview conducted in person or via online methods.
- Sign and submit an attestation of high school (or equivalent) completion.
- Equivalencies include a GED Certificate. Home schooled students must present a diploma that meets the requirements of the state in which it was issued. (Students with non-US credentials please see International Student Admissions Requirements below).
- Submit a completed application
- Arrange for official transcripts from all colleges/universities previously attended to be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration, University of the Potomac.
- Submit grade reports or scores from any recognized college equivalency examinations (e.g., CLEP, DANTES, and Advanced Placement).
- Submit certificates from any corporate education training or professional development programs. (Note: An ACE evaluation form may be required to determine appropriate credit for corporate educational training.)
- Submit military training documents. (Note: An ACE military evaluation form may be required to determine appropriate credit for military training.)
Graduate Admissions Requirements
In addition to the general requirements listed to the left, applicants for a graduate program must provide the following:
- An undergraduate degree in order to enroll in University of the Potomac master’s programs: four-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in other countries.
- International applicants 16 with a 3-year undergraduate degree may be admitted on the recommendation of the Admission Committee which will be based on students’ preparation.
- Two Letters of recommendation from individuals who may be a direct supervisor or university faculty member. *This requirement may be waived for those students with Master level transfer credits*.
- One required essay, in MSWord document form, addressing the student’s preparation for the graduate program.
The Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) is not required for admission to the MBA, but is strongly preferred for students who do not have a bachelor’s degree in a business related discipline or lack the pre-requisite courses in business, finance and economics. Similarly, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for admission to the MSIT or MHCA, but is recommended.
Request FREE Information
Want to learn more about University of the Potomac?
Complete the simple form – it just takes a minute!
- Invest in yourself by finishing your degree.
- Take classes online, on campus, or both.
- Finish faster. Save more.
This will only take a moment.
Request FREE Information
Want to learn more about University of the Potomac?Complete the simple form – it just takes a minute!
This will only take a moment.
Hear What Our Graduates Are Saying
Master in Healthcare Informatics Frequently Asked Questions
A Master’s in Healthcare Informatics Degree is one of the programs that UOTP offers. This program qualifies you to analyze data and, in turn, make better decisions. Better decisions are made by integrating data, technology, and policy as the foundation for healthcare delivery, research, and innovation.
Depending on whether you will choose to study full-time or part-time, on-campus or online, earning an MSHI will typically take you two years to complete. However, you can choose an accelerated program to complete your degree in less time.
UOTP aims to provide qualitative education at an affordable price. So we can assure you that it won’t cost you an arm and a leg to get your degree. You can have a clearer idea of how much you will be spending on your MSHI degree by calculating your school cost. Not to forget that UOTP offers financial aid, scholarships, and other financial resources to keep your education affordable.
With an MSHI, you will be eligible for many roles within the industry, starting with positions such as EHR implementation director, clinical informatics manager, or healthcare data analyst, among many other options.
Yes, you can. The University of the Potomac gives you the opportunity to choose whether you want to enroll in an on-campus or online MSHI program. It is entirely up to you to choose how you want to get your degree.